4-H Volunteer Screening Process
Thank you for your willingness and interest in serving as a 4-H Club Leader in Cherokee County. All club leaders need to complete the volunteer screening process. Please contact the Cherokee County K-State Research and Extension Office for assistance.
Here are the steps to becoming a certified volunteer.
- Complete the Kansas 4-H Volunteer Service Application (I am attaching this file and it is form filler)
- Register on 4-H Online (Please wait to do this until the new 4-H year starts.)
- Complete the Orientation – Here is a link to a brochure that explains the orientation that can be done online
- Complete the Child Abuse and Neglect Form. The background check is part of our process to assure we have appropriate volunteers working with Kansas 4-H members. The background check consists of two parts: A check of the Kansas Child Abuse and Neglect Central Registry and a National Criminal Background check through an outside vendor.
- The first step is the Child Abuse and Neglect Registry Check. To start this, please completely fill out and sign the Child Abuse and Neglect Central Registration Release of Information Form (DCF). (This is a form filler document.) Place it in an envelope and return it immediately to the Extension Office in Columbus. Please fill in every line of the form including N/A on the third line as applicable. The results will be sent to the Kansas State 4-H Office and communicated to our local office.
- The second step is to complete the National Criminal Background check information and permission form at either of these links:
- The process is all online using a commercial vendor and their secure website and server. The results will be sent to our State 4-H Office and communicated to our local office. The check is being conducted by Validity Screening Solutions, a Kansas Company who provides background checks to the State of Kansas and Kansas State University and many volunteer organizations.
- The online form will start with selecting your local Extension Unit which is Cherokee County K-State Research and Extension. Scroll down to Rolling Cherokee County Extension and hit “submit.” To continue, you must go to this website to create a system account screen pops up. Go ahead and setup an account. Once that is done, the next page will be “application” asking for contact information. There will then be several pages of statements and disclosures, some of which will require you a check a box at the end of the page. At the end, you will be asked for your Birthdate and Social Security Number and to grant permission for the background check by electronically signing the form. The check cannot be run without this information and signature. Upon completion of the application, an email will be sent to the address you provided, confirming creation of your profile.
- Thank you for the timely completion of these steps which are all necessary for our screening process. If you have any questions, please contact the Cherokee County Extension Office at 620-429-3849.
- After these steps are completed, the Extension District Board approves volunteers.
If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask.